So just finished reading the books literally hours ago, and I want to write something ASAP. Spoiler galore in my reviews, proceed with care.
The story is about a girl, Penny, trying to balance her life, shake off her panic attacks, managing to keep her dating life with a YouTube star (later touring star) healthy and survive, recover from & subvert a saboteur’s schemes.
In the first book, which I have to say being a little bit bland, we are introduced to Penny and her friends: Elliot, Megan and Ollie, and her family: Mom, Dad & Tom. She went on a bit of chance journey to NYC and met Noah and his family & friends: Sadie Lee, Bella and a pesky fake girlfriend Leah. To me, the first book is all about introductions. Might as well condense and rewrite into a forward or maybe two chapters and attach it to the second book, which contains the proper of the story.
Her adventure begins as her “rock-tastic” boyfriend is listed as the opening act for the European leg of the world tour of a boy band called “The Sketch” (which, to me, seemed a lot like One Direction or 5 Seconds of Summer) and from the get-go a stalker is haunting her. Her plan gets interrupted constantly, and she even got a near-rape experience (shudder) from one of Noah’s band members. The aforementioned “pesky” Leah turned out to be a decent human being, even helped Penny to have her Cinderella moment. During the climax the big bad finally revealed – the seemingly-caring manager Dean was the curlprit, the stalker and the saboteur.
The story of the second book is fairly well-written, not so girly like the first (cakes & dolls… 😅) and I like the faster pace, which is pretty common in average-quality fanfictions.
Girl Online 3 WMG
- Noah will hire Leah’s managing team (as Dean is fired while Leah gave Penny appropriate connections)
- Penny will be hired by Leah’s team (as the diva got her eyes on Penny’s photography already)
- Elliot will be able to hang with Penny & co during tours (for them allowing him access to fashion trends not used to accessible to CHIC magazine just by tag along)
- Noah will get her headlining tour (😍)
- Penny & Noah will stir up some turbulence within The Sketch team (regarding girlfriends and their positions in teams)
Cast suggestion WMG
Should this book series ever be put into a movie, I am really looking forward to a cast like this:
Common to two books:
- Penny: Zoe Sugg
- Noah: Ryan McCartan
- Elliot: Casper Lee
- Tom: Joe Sugg
- Ollie: Marcus Butler
- Megan: Niomi Smart
- Leah: Dove Cameron
- Mr. Porter: Benedict Cumberbatch
- Ms. Porter: Keira Knightley
- Sadie Lee: Cloris Leachman
- Bella: Mia Talerico
Characters from Girl Online:
- John: Cole Sprouse
- Cindy: Debby Ryan
Characters from Girl Online: On Tour:
- Noah’s band: Kurt Hugo Schneider, Max Schneider, Alex Goot
- Alex: Tyler Oakley
- Dean: Freddie Wong
- The Sketch: 5 Seconds of Summer
- Girlfriends of The Sketch members: Megan Nicole, Anna Grace Barlow
- Leah’s fashion girls: Shelby Wulfert, Emmy Buckner, Sabrina Carpenter, Victoria Moroles